March 23, 2020
Coronavirus has quickly created telecommuting as a new normal for businesses; yet are employees & these organizations aware of how to reduce risks to cybersecurity viruses? Many small businesses do not adequately budget for cybersecurity and put their companies at risk, which is especially heightened during a time of national crisis. JPS Technology Services help organizations ensure their technology investments create value and mitigate risk exposures, whether telecommuting or not.
With Covid-19’s quick effect to create a culture of working remotely, JPS has created several cybersecurity tips to reduce a business’s risk to this kind of virus.
Whether an employee is using their own or company device, this is a good time to remind employees to:
- use strong passwords.
- ensure personal devices have updated malware protection.
- ensure all devices connecting to company data are patched and up to date. Update programs/software to ensure the most current versions are in place.
- use company email (versus personal) for all corporate communication.
- be extra vigilant in checking email addresses before responding, opening an attachment or clicking on an embedded link.
- utilize multi-factor authentication where possible.
- if employees are using personal computers, provide instruction so company work is not backed up in their personal systems & only in secured company approved locations.
- Consider asking employees to create a guest network to segment work-related traffic while working from home.
- If possible, create conservative lockout settings to minimize exposure.
The business environment is shifting quickly due to Coronavirus. It’s important that companies educate their employees on their cybersecurity policies & procedures and provide tips on how to securely telecommute.
Want to learn more on how your business can mitigate cybersecurity risks? Please contact Garrett Martin, JPS Director of Technology Services, with any questions.
Stay updated with JPS. And, as always, feel free to contact your JPS team to assist you.
Asheville Boone Marion
828-254-2374 828-262-0997 828-652-7044
Johnson Price Sprinkle PA is a 60+ year old accounting firm providing small to middle market businesses with tax, business consulting, audit, and technology solution services. With offices in Asheville, Boone, and Marion, NC, our CPAs and JPS team strive to provide personal service alongside technical expertise resulting in our clients’ long-term financial success. We also invest time and energy in our community, taking pride in doing what we can to make Western North Carolina a better place. JPS Mission: To Be Greater by positively impacting our Clients, People, Community and Profession.